[3830] NAQP SSB VE6CNU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 19 17:41:11 EDT 2007

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Calgary

   15:   12     5
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  363   101  Total Score = 36,663

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Team:

Comments:

My main goal was to better my last NAQP SSB score from this past January.  I
managed to do so, but just barely (by about 2,500 points).  I made up for the
poor 15m condx by doing more on 40m and 80m, although local thunderstorms
created noise levels S9 and greater for the entire afternoon/evening.  (I had
to QRT for half an hour while a big storm went through.)  As for conditions
here in southern Alberta, 10m was virtually dead the whole period, 15m was
barely open at the start of the contest, for about an hour, 20m was open until
about 6PM local time, and 40/80m suffered from high QRN associated with
T-storms in the area.  I don't have an antenna for 160m, but I doubt it would
have helped much.

I only heard 3 other VE6 stations on (most of whom I didn't work and lost out
on easy multipliers), and only worked five other provinces from Canada.  I did
work 44 different states, but couldn't find NM, AR, HI, RI, DE, and MS.  A
couple pleasant surprises were when I got calls from England and the Canary
Islands while my yagi was pointed at Florida.

I always enjoy the names I run across in this contest and should note that I
worked guys named Booger and Fuzz, as well as Kirk and Scotty.  It was also fun
to work George in Georgia, but I never worked Norman in Oklahoma.  And I always
have fun working guys named Roger.  At least they don't have to spell out their
name phonetically!  Finally, I felt sorry for a guys with uncommon names, like
Vergil, Pras, and Oran as they were constantly spelling out their names.  Maybe
that's why there are so many guys named Bob in this contest!

My equipment was an FT-1000MP to a TH6 at 40', with an inverted vee for 40m and
my shunt-fed tower for 80m.  Thanks to everyone who worked me and hope to see
you in the next one.

Jerry
VE6CNU