[3830] OhQP N8II SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Aug 29 08:50:21 EDT 2007

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   30     30
   40:   64     40
   20:    0      0
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:   94     70  CW Mults = 52  Ph Mults = 35  Total Score = 22,272

Another edition of the OQP is history, or as I affectionately call it
 the CuQP, Cursed QSO Party. 40 was in and out at best to eastern OH
 and worse by 19Z. I also had RF feedback problems which I may solved
 now. The number of stations on 40 phone seemed way down from last
 understandably so. By 19Z, the QRN level was coming up and by 20Z, I
 was certain without looking that a storm was nearby. By 2015Z it was
 gusting wind and pouring rain follwed a few minutes later by hail;
 it was our most severe storm of the season. To top off the floods,
 OH was dealing with storms all over the place and tornadoes to boot.
 No wonder activity seemed way down at times, especially casusal phone
 ops. The storm had basically passed by 2115, but the QRN level was
 impossible and 20 which was worthless anyway was still plagued by an
 unstable atomosphere with precip static on the yagi. To top that off
 it was becoming nearly impossible to work OH on any band with the
 skip zone on 40 too long and basically no one yet on 75/80M. I was
 off 3 hours until about 2310Z when I found some 80M CW activity; 40
 was shot. The static level on 75M stayed horrendous steady 15-20
 over S9 the whole evening and my best 75M runs were around 23-24Z.
 By 01Z there was hardly anyone left on 75. Luckily, some sporadic E
 allowed 40 to open again with better condx than mid-day, but QRM from
 an RTTY contest kept away all but the serious competitors.
   Many thanks to the mobiles who braved the storms and floods, sorry
 condx didn't allow for more QSO's. Next year can only get better.