[3830] OhQP K8MR Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Aug 30 11:49:23 EDT 2007

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR, W8DRZ
Station: K8MR

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 22 counties

   80:   38     37
   40:  352     42
   20:   62      4
--------------------
Total:  473     83  CW Mults = 52  Ph Mults = 31  Total Score = 85,407

Club: No. Ohio DX Association

Comments:

By County:

         CW   SSB
GUER     31    4
BELM      8    3
MONR     39    6
NOBL     43    4
MUSK      8    4
MORG     45   11
PERR     22   14
ATHE     26    3
HOCK     36    6
FAIR     21    3
PICK     20    2
FRAN     20    1
DELA      3    4
MORR     10    1
RICH     12    1
ASHL      6    4
WAYN      9    0
MEDI     19    3
SUMM     21    1
CUYA     37    3
GEAU     19    1
PORT     18    4

This year's run around Ohio definitely qualified as a "challenge".  There was a
race with a solar wind stream from a coronal hole that was due to arrive on
August 25, and it seemed to have arrived about 90 minutes before the start of
the OQP.  Listening to the bands while driving to our start, there was a
noticable auroral flutter on all the bands. But most of that went away by the
start, with only usual QSB, etc.  In the early evening hours propagation again
took a good dump, combined with very heavy QRN.  I don't think I had anyone
answer a CQ on 80/75, or 20 SSB. 40 did shorten up around nightfall, but the
QRN was still bad, the RTTY was there, and probably a lot of people had quit by
then.

In Fairfield county, around 6 pm, the van started running very badly - missing,
the check engine light came on, including at times not just on but flashing. We
decided that a direct route toward home was indicated, so we headed back
through Pickaway to Columbus and up I-71.  Sorry we missed a number of counties
where we were the scheduled activity. On the way home the van was not running
well, but not as badly as earlier, so when reaching the Cleveland area we
continued on east to Geauga and Portage counties, before getting back to my QTH
about 10 pm.

Predictions are that by August 2008 the solar cycle will be heading up.  That
can't come too soon!

73  -   Jim  K8MR   (and Jim W8DRZ)