[3830] ARRL 160 N4KG M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 2 13:03:49 EST 2007

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG+PACKET
Station: N4KG

Class: M/S HP
QTH: ALA

Total:  QSOs = 733  Sections = 78  Countries = 23  Total Score = 156,101

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I started out just Hunting and Calling with my Icom 746PRO Barefoot.
Worked 305 Q's in 72 Sections (plus a little DX, some with the AMP).
Missed RI NNY ORG SF WY VE4 VE7 VY1 the First Night.
Heard ORG and WY stations running around calling CQers.

Saturday Night I decided to RUN (with the AMP). Yep N4KG, 'QRP & LP S&P
contester extrodinair' :-), RAN for 3.5 Hours Saturday Night on 1821 (squeezed
in by guys 200 Hz above and below) in hopes of pulling in ORG, SF, WYO, and
maybe even VE4 or VY1 (LOTS of VE1,2,3,5,6,7 called in).   Made 280 Q's in 3
hours straight.  Went to bed still needing ORG, SF, WY, VE4, VY1.

Woke up at 6 am (1200Z).  Finally dragged my butt out of bed and turned on the
radio at 1220Z.  Heard a K8 call CQ around 1880 (where the dial was left from
night before).  K6NR answered him.  For some reason, I stayed tuned to hear
K6NR give "599 ORG" !   I called K6NR, HE CAME BACK and gave me a report.
WOW!

Heard N6RO CQing.  Sent "N4KG need SF"  N6RO said "K6SRZ, W6JTI".
A while later, W6JTI is spotted.  BINGO!  Another one off the Need List.

No more fresh meat.  Started tuning from bottom of band, found a hole and CQ'd
at 1803.5   Not too much later, I thought KL7X called me at 1313Z but it was
actually KO7X in WYO.  Where was he all Saturday Night?

JA3YBK was also spotted, just before my SR but still copiable.
After a few repeats, both ways, I heard CFM CFM at 1240Z.

NO JOY when VY1JA spotted himself on 1817, but lots of 6,7,8,9,0 were working
him.  Maybe a PEEP but NO COPY.  So it goes.  Missed VE4 & VY1.

N4KG Ended up with 733 Q's in 78 sections and 23 countries = 156K

GREAT conditions for running USA / VE Saturday Night but DX was WAY down from
Friday Night.  Some EU called me (while beaming NW!)

Tom  N4KG  in North Alabama

Antennas:
Inverted L 120 ft ESE of 130 ft tower/beam (acts as a reflector to ESE)
Elevated GP (140 ft tower 6 Radials at 20 ft) 150 ft NW of 130 ft tower/beam
(acts as a reflector to NW)