[3830] CQWW CW ZM3A(ZL3WW) SOSB(A)/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 2 16:44:51 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ZM3A
Operator(s): ZL3WW
Station: ZL3WW

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: auckland

   40: 2096    36      131

Club: SKY Contest Club

Comments:

I am satisfied the way I worked during the phone part of the cqww (except for
the voice recorder that didn't work), which I really can't say for cw, as a
matter
of fact - it was a disaster. However, the conditions were pretty good on both
days.
On the first day I've made a mistake by leaving the beam for far too long on
Europe - long path, so that I've missed a lot from central America and east
coast
of US.
Pile-up was so intense that I just couldn't receive call signs, so that I
often
changed frequency - just like it was a sprint contest and not cq ww. I'd say
that that should be attributed to my lack of concentration and not to
equipment
or bad band conditions. I've finished the first night with only 1000 qsos and
it
should have been much more.
In contrast to the phone part when I didn't pay attention to multipliers, I've
tried
to do it better for cw: 36 zones, 131 countries and 1,035,400 points.
Mr. Murphy paid a visit again - just before starting the run on a second day,
I've gone to purchase the petrol for the generator and when I was supposed to
pay (there is a prepay service at the gas station), I've realized that I forgot
my
cards at home (prior to coming to the contest location) so I paid with some
pocket
money that I had. Later that night during the Japan's run I worked barefoot in
order
to preserve some fuel for the following morning and Europeans.
Second day has started just like the first one - with YU1LA and YT0A being
first and only EU stations on the band - as early as 14:30 local time...
I had a great difficulties to find a clear spot on the band and I'll have to
get
250Hz filter, as it turned out that it is definitely necessary.
Changing the tactics has paid off with more than 1100 qsos, spending more time
on US run instead to the Europeans, as they had stronger signals and able to
work
much faster. However, working barefoot towards Japan had negative impact
on the rate, but that was the only way to save some fuel... Nevertheless, the
fuel
ran out at 06:05 local time, so in total I've missed couple of hours.
An old Latin proverb says - " Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas" (We live and
learn),
therefore it will be better next time ;-) I am sure that with better
organization I could
have worked 2500 qsos. Forthcoming activities include taking down antennae,
increasing boom length to 14 and tower to 25 meters and then we'll see.
Next contest activity will be during ARRL. Some statistics:
Qso#  Region
820     NA
236     JA
860     EU
As far as for qsl cards - have some patience for all of my call signs:
zl/zm3ww, zl/zm3a.
Thanks to everyone who called. This was my first time working with TS-850 which
turned
out to be good transceiver, 3el beam @ 20m and KNTD400 amplifier.
The entire contest has been recorded and if anyone who worked me wants to hear
the recording of our contact, then please let me know and I'll send it over.

Thanks,
Dule, ZM3A