[3830] ARRL 160 VE3RCN Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 2 16:58:48 EST 2007

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE3RCN
Operator(s): VE3RCN
Station: VE3RCN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Welland, On

Total:  QSOs = 205  Sections = 42  Countries = 1  Total Score = 17,430

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

DX was the Bahamas. Heard but did not work BC, AB and ID. The new 2000 beat last
years score in less time. Sure was nice to use the cw filter right down to 50hz.
Needed it for some of the contacts with the s7-9 noise. Antenna is full wave
loop(sic...I dont think geometry has come up with a name for a shape with this
many angles) ranging from 20 to 9 feet off the ground. Tree tops are 65-70 feet
up...but I dont have a bucket truck to get up there. These are the same trees
that soak up a lot of my signals on all bands, but offers some privacy from the
neighbours eyeing the skyhooks. This is the first contest where I did not use a
CW straight key. Had the computer send it. I feel funny about this...RTTY is ok
by computer, but, oh well, since I didnt build my own radio, I should just
forget about it and be happy with the receiving ops that did not have to copy
my fist after 6 hours of brass pounding! Now I have to start checking out the
swap shops for a 70cm and a 2m beam for the VHF contests.