[3830] ARRL 160 AC6DD Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 3 15:15:37 EST 2007

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD
Station: AC6DD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 124  Sections = 55  Countries = 4  Total Score = 15,812

FT 1000 MP, 50-60W
TX ant: 55' inverted L
RX ant: 100' of coax on the ground into a preamp. (the end of the coax was
lying next to my 80m vertical)

Reality is slowly getting to me that with two small kids, there is less and
less time available for radio.  The initial plan for a big effort at my usual
portable location in Avila Beach was scaled down to operating the entire
contest high power remote from home, and than to operating just a few evening
hours with low power, while entrateining the kids. I sat my 3 year old son in a
chair next to me a with a set of headphones and K2 to play with.  I was holding
my 5 month old daughter, and was able to make one QSO at a time before she got
fussy and had to take a walk around the room, and so on.  After they went to
bed it was quite a bit easier.  The 55' inverted L did not like high power
because of an apparent arc fault (it turns out a seagull broke the horizontal
wire support rope), so I used 50-60W power which appeared not to arc. I was
using a 12/17m tribander, and a 100' length of coax on the ground as a
listening antenna.  Splatter from KVEC 920 is back, so that made the coax my
receiving antenna most of the time. I did not hear much, but every station I
called I was able to work (except one single W4 station).
Hopefully I will get some time for a good effort in Stew Perry.

124 QSO, 49 US sections, 6 VE
DX worked: VP2, E5, C6, PJ2

Niko - AC6DD