[3830] ARRL 10 KG5U SO CW QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 9 19:42:58 EST 2007

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: KG5U
Operator(s): KG5U
Station: KG5U

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: TX

   CW:  382    42
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  382    42  Total Score = 64,344

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Friday night was fun.  East and West coming in.  Even had PJ2T call me.  Made
about a third of my total QSO's for the contest Friday night.
Saturday was okay.  Apparently, no one was home in New England.  Worked no one
above New York. In addition to missing New England, I missed DE and ND, too.
But,I think I worked all the Florida hams that have 10m capability.  The State
column in the TR4W log was nothing but FL for a good while.
Saturday afternoon was deader than a doornail with only locals K5EWJ and KZ5J,
and K5NA and NX5M being the 'beacons'--if they weren't working anyone, I
certainly wasn't going to be able to.
Saturday evening picked up again and stayed active until about 05z.
Sunday morning was even better than Saturday morning.  There was a short
opening to the Caribbean.  I heard PJ2T from about 10kHz away.  He was BIG--+20
over.  I went looking for other Carib stations.  Found two, Then, after scouring
the band for more and finding none, I started CQ'ing and picked up two more.
Very cool.  Then it closed out for them.
The band closed around 20Z and I just checked on it about every ten minutes,
but it never came back.  But, I did manage to clear some of the backlog on TIVO
while waiting for an opening. :-)

Fun contest.  I hope by next year's ARRL 10 I'll have my rotator fixed -- My C3
at 70' was pointing ENE throughout the contest.  Thank goodness I also have an
A3 hard mounted to the tower at 40' pointing NW for the west coast...although
they never did show in any great numbers.

 Top Ten Things To Do While The Contest Logging Software is On Auto-CQ Or While
The Operator Is Slowly Scanning The Band For A Potential QSO:
 10.  Answer old e-mails
 9.   Make up new patch cables
 8.   Catch up on log submissions to LOTW
 7.   Answer QSL Cards
 6.   Re-label the Antenna/BPF switch box
 5.   Troubleshoot the rotator for the third time (still not working)
 4.   Play with MixW waterfall -- tune in a cw signal and, without looking or
while covering the waterfall, try to tune the signal as close as possible to
your radio's CW offset (typically, 750 Hz).  I was getting pretty good at
it...<100 Hz 90% of the time.
 3.   Experiment with other contest logging programs
 2.   Reorganize and label my antenna, radio, and equipment notebooks

 And the number one thing to do during this year's ARRL 10 Meter Contest is
 1.   Paint my toenails with liquid electrical tape