[3830] ARRL 10 N0VD SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 10 19:44:14 EST 2007

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N0VD
Operator(s): N0VD
Station: N0VD

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Colorado
Operating Time (hrs): 2-many

   CW:  254
  SSB:  299
-------------------
Total:  553    63  Total Score = 101,682

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

I had no plans to get in this one, but after tuning across the band after work
on Friday and hearing another local, KT0DX, running guys on SSB I couldn't pass
it up.  Only once catch!  It seemed that I had taken ALL of my interconnecting
cables for the radio, accessories and computer to PJ4 for the rental QTH I'm
building there (www.villadesertpalm.com - shameless plug!).  Ok, to make cables
or just listen?  The competitor got the best of me - break out the soldering
iron, wires, plugs, etc. and let's get in on the fun.  The bad thing is that by
the time I got everything wired up, most of the opening was gone.  Oh well, I'm
in now - gotta do the whole contest.

Saturday morning proved productive but Saturday evening just after sunset the
band cracked wide open for about 90 minutes.  Logged the best hour in the
contest with 187 during that time.  Called it a day with 499 Qs.

I was hoping for a repeat on Sunday but it was not to be.  Sunday morning
produced very little activity with a total of only 54 Qs the entire day - and
only 3 in the last two hours.  Thanks to W0AIH as my last Q and pulling what
seemed like a meteor scatter Q out of the ether for a needed mult and to put me
over the 100k mark.  Only two Caribbean (6Y1V and VP5E - where I op'ed this
contest the last 2 years), and about a half dozen SA stations.  I knew things
were bad when I was ahead of some of the big gun SA stations!  Seems like a
broken record, but it can only get better from here...

Kelly - N0VD