[3830] RAC Winter VE6CNU SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Dec 29 20:37:36 EST 2007

                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Calgary

  160:   37      1       4         0
   80:   73     36       6         6
   40:  115     30       7         5
   20:  128    263       5         7
   15:   24     10       4         4
   10:    1      1       1         1
    6:    0      0       0         0
    2:    0      5       0         1
Total:  378    346      27        24  Total Score = 190,740

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

The first night was very challenging, to say the least.  20m closed down (in
Calgary) one minute before the contest started, so I had to go to 40m right
away.  Except that there was no propagation on 40m. So it was on to 80m, where
things were so-so.  My noise level was S9 so only the strong stations made it
through.  I went QRT around 1AM as nothing was happening.  40m seemed somewhat
better in the morning (around 7AM MST) and an hour or so later, 20m was opening
up.  I ended up having some real nice runs on 20m SSB, so over all things got
much better propagation-wise.  In fact, the noise level on all bands
dramatically dropped, so I was able to make a bunch of QSOs on 40 and 80 later
on Saturday afternoon.

The only sections I failed to work were Nunavut and NWT.  Where were all the MB
and SK guys during Sweepstakes?  (Not to mention QC?)  Worked lots of them this
weekend.

So all in all, it was a fun contest to operate from home (tribander, plus
inverted vee (40m) and shunt-fed tower for 80-160m) with my FT-1000MP and 100W.
 Hope to see everyone next year.  And as for the Stew Perry, I'm afraid it will
have to wait until next year.  I'm just too mentally fatigued so sit in front
of the rig for another night.

73,

Jerry
VE6CNU