[3830] RAC Winter VE4RAC(VE4EAR) SO SSB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Dec 29 22:53:13 EST 2007

                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE4RAC
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4RAC

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Manitoba

  160:           4                 3
   80:          85                 8
   40:         107                 9
   20:         313                11
   15:           0                 0
   10:           0                 0
    6:           0                 0
    2:           0                 0
Total:   0     509       0        31  Total Score = 117,242

My initial goal eas to ensure that VE4RAC was operational in this contest. I was
hoping someone else would have volunteered to put it on the air. However I was
the luck individual!

My second goal was to improve on last year and I set a target of 600 QSO's. I
fell short of that goal but it turned out a lot better than it initially looked
like it was going to be.

At the start of the contest, 20 was dead and 40 was already going quite long.
80m was the place to be and although the A factor noise was low, we still had
the inevitable cosmic cloud hanging over us hear in VE4 land. It ws amazing to
hear the VE2/VE3 working each other and the northeast US and the folks out in
VE6/VE7 working each other and the K6 & 7's. That left us prairie folk to find
each other and the odd DX out east or west:) For those of you that think all us
VE4 and VE5 are always so weak, imagine now working everyone on 80 like that!

Sunday was a bit better and 20 opened up nicely to the east and west coast. Had
a great run of ON and QC stations. The polar predictions indicated that the MUF
should have been high enough for some far east, west and south 15m contacts but
seem like nobody ventured up there, at least not when I was cruising the band.

finally pulled the plug on 20m around 2100 UTC as it seemed everyone had either
turned their radios off or headed for 40m. 40m turned ito a fantastic band with
about 1 hour to go in the contest. Worked almost 80 stations in 30 minutes on
40. That was a rush!

In the end, I am not sure the VE4RAC callsign aided me, although it didn't
hurt. I can't wait for next year when I have an actual beam and tower. This
contest was run with just a roof mounted 40m vertical and a 130' doublet up
about 40 feet at the apex.

Thanks to the organizers for putting this fun contest together and t RAC for
allowing me the use of the callsign for the contest.

73 and Happy New Year!

Ed
VE4EAR