[3830] TBDC N1LN Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 30 17:58:14 EST 2007

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 302  Total Score = 1,030

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

After listening on my 80 mtr inverted-V during the ARRL DX 160 CQ test I got the
160mtr itch and decided to put up a temporary antenna (still need to complete
the rest of the yagis befor the final 75/80/160 antennas go up) and give the
upcoming CQWW-160 a try.  Well, I put up an inverted-V a couple of weekends
ago. Much to my surprise my first QSO was with RZ1AW.  After that - more EU -
"without any beverages".  The next step was to put up a couple of temporary
beverages.  I now have one 600' @ 48 deg and one 450' @ 310 deg.

The Stu Perry Challenge was to be the test befor the CQWW weekend.  I didn't
intend on putting in a big effort and the high noise levels, especially on
Sunday morning, convinced me that my plan was correct.  I was also decided to
use station 2 with the small amp at about 600watts.  When I worked my first EU
(UA6) @ 00:41 UTC I knew that I was no longer at my Texas QTH.  There was one
negative, however.  In Texas my NE/NW beverages would cover the entire US.
Well, not here.  I need to switch to my I-V to hear anything from LA to FL and
most of NC/SC. The increased noise on the I-V really impacted the rate.  Sorry
to all for asking for repeats while searching for the correct RX antenna.  But,
not complaining, the beverages worked very well.

Hope to get a second Op over here for CQWW-160 CW and put in a major effort as
a M/S entry.

73,
Bruce - N1LN
(aka: NC4KW)