[3830] NA Sprint SSB N6WG QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 4 13:13:05 EST 2007

                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA

   80:  19        2
   40:  11       .9
   20:  10      1.1
---------------------
Total:  40     Mults = 14  Total Score = 560

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 2

Comments:

This was a particularly brutal experience, as contests go.  I felt
like a mouse on the floor at a tap-dancing class.  I was always
getting stepped on :-)

While low, my rate was fairly steady, wavering around 10 Qs/hr.
For some folks, that would be a really crummy rate, but for a left
coast QRP SSB station with just wire antennas, that is probably
about right.

Given the intensity and loudness of the competition, I was
pleased to work as far as NJ and HI on 20m, IN and TN on 40m,
and WI on 75m.  No great credit to me, but a major accomplishment
for those stations that pulled me through.

CQing was just a waste of time, only about three Qs were had
that way.  Mostly just S&P, and trying again when getting beat
out for a Q :-)  Some stations I chased all over the bands, and
never did work.  There are some enormous alligators out there
for sure.  Others with very modest signals came right back to me.

I was lucky in my local noise level.  Between my Flag receiving
loop and my rotary non-resonant loop, I was able to hear far
more than I could work.

It seemed to me that there wasn't as much participation as I
had anticipated.  At times I had to do a lot of searching to find
a station I had not already worked, or decided wasn't going to hear
me, no matter what.

For my first try at an SSB Sprint, this gives me a benchmark
to check myself against for future efforts.  Then again, this
may be as good as it gets :-)

Thanks for all the Qs, and see you in the CW Sprint.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude