[3830] FYBO N8H M/M QRP FROM HELL, MICHIGAN

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Tue Feb 6 18:04:03 EST 2007

Since there's no template for FYBO, this is a hand formulated message.

Freeze Your B…. Off - 2007
N8H M/M QRP FIELD OPERATION FROM HELL, MICHIGAN
OPS AB8DF, KA5S, N8XX
Power - QRP (of course, for FYBO)
Location - Outside in Frozen Hell.:)

Band Raw Q's Valid Q's Points SPC

40 CW 30 30 60 19
20 CW 15 15 30 9

TOTALS 45 45 90 28

90 QSO PTS
28 SPC Multiplier
6 Temp Multiplier
4 Field OP Multiplier
10000 Worked WQ7RP
70480 Total Claimed Score

Murphy struck early - one antenna halyard was tangled in a tree, which
caused the 40 meter antenna height to be <30 feet instead of 50 feet.
Then the rig

wouldn't put power to the tuner, and after some sleuthing a broken coax
was found and fixed. Also, alternate power from a generator wouldn't
start at such a

cold temperature, so we gave up and plugged into the AC mains. At least
they have 110VAC in Hell!

We tried Feld Hell (We thought the mode would be appropriate for the
venue!) on 40 metres at 1900Z and 2100Z with no takers. We knew the rig
was working

because we were making quite a few CW contacts, even with a low antenna.
We didn't try 20 meters Feld Hell because of technical difficulties with
one rig.

It was 2°F when we arrived in Hell, and never got above 13°F during the
operation. You might say it was a cold day in Hell:)

The weather was getting blustery and snowy around 2100Z, so we decided
to close up at 2200Z while it was still light.

Thanks to the Arizona ScQRPions for running a nice contest. We hope to
CU during FYBO 2008. Unless things change drastically, we'll be in Hell
again, and

will have a much better idea of what is needed for such an operation.

72 from Ed, AB8DF, Cortland, KA5S, and Hank, N8XX