[3830] RTTY WPX WB4YDL SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 12 13:53:09 EST 2007

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: WB4YDL
Operator(s): WB4YDL
Station: WB4YDL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TN

   80:  148   428
   40:  305   986
   20:  703  1638
-----------------
Total: 1192  3116  Prefixes = 532  Total Score = 1,657,712

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

This was my first WPX of any kind and the first time I exceeded 1000 Q's. This
contest was a blast !!! After the Alpha amp shut down the first time due to
heat (it sits on a cabinet shelf), I found an AC powered plastic camp fan and
stuck it over and behind the beast and fired it up on high - never had any
further problems. Saturday morning I got up around 5:30 to find the lower half
of 20M one big DIDDLE ! It was hard at first to make sense of it all and when
you tried to call CQ, you were mobbed by the European hordes and it looked like
one big scrabble board! I learned a very important part of RTTY contesting - the
Art of the Pregnant Pause ! Wise ones would drop their call in during those
times and then things started taking off. It was hard to leave 20M - it just
kept giving. The JA's made a good showing late in the contest on 20M and Sat.
AM on 40M. The hardest part about this contest is choosing when to be off -
only 30 hours, had to choose 18 off hours.

Lots and lots of familiar TCG calls - sometimes the skip was too long and made
it difficult for short range Q's. Big DX surprises - YWØ and EP answering my
CQ ! Oh, did anyone else get this EI call that appeared too long ? - EI75IRTS.
I put it in, but don't know if it will fly. I also hope I didn't bust the EP
call - EP1QDH. I managed to qualify for DXCC RTTY in one W/E - 107 entities -
and WPX award.  Kool !!

I also learned that some would use weird shifts - Germany - and some would slam
a call right on to an exchange - OM, S5, and other Eastern bloc folks. Jeez !
Some newbs had the ALC on and I had to use the RCV Clarifier some on the Mark
V.

All in all a really great time and EVERYTHING worked !!!!

73, Jamie

WB4YDL