[3830] ARRLDX CW W3EF SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 18 20:19:49 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3EF
Operator(s): W3EF
Station: W3EF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Maryland

   10:   12     5
-------------------
Total: 1346   308  Total Score = 1,243,704

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

If you're going to fail, make it glorious.  The 40m beam (a KLM 40M4 at 125')
wasn't working, and I didn't know why, and and the weather didn't cooperate for
climbing -- so there I was on the day of the contest, freezing my butt off in a
RENTED CRANE up there fooling around with the beam.  Get this -- after two
hours up there, with darkness about to fall and the crane crew going on
overtime, I FAILED to fix the thing.  Got that?  It STILL DOES NOT WORK.  I did
the contest with a 40m GP in a tree.  This was perhaps the greatest folly I can
remember instigating -- and certainly the most expensive. Add to this the
challenging conditions, and I'm lucky even to have broken a million points this
year.

Highlights of the contest had to be 1) working VK9DNX on 80m on the greyline (a
first for me) and 2) moving Vidi, ZS1EL, from 15 to 20, and then picking him up
on 10m later in the day -- the only signal on the band!

At least the station played flawlessly -- it had been completely re-assembled
this past year, with the addition of an IC7800 and new Top Ten band decoders.
I guess I still have a few things to learn about the 7800, though, because my
second radio, an IC765, is quieter.

Congrats to all, especially for sticking it out in the noise.

73 and headed back to HB9,

Maury W3EF