[3830] ARRLDX CW WK4P SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 19 00:10:19 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WK4P
Operator(s): WK4P
Station: WK4P

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    2     2
   80:   11     9
Total:  103    77  Total Score = 23,793

Club: Ashe County ARC

Comments:

The hollerin' hillbilly, WK4P, let his fingers do the talking across the globe
in the ARRL CW DX contest.  Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to play
in this contest, as work, social, and a VE obligations got in the way.  The
bottom line is I reached my goal of 100 contacts and got in some great CW
practice before the NCQP next Sunday.

I wasn't able to use some of my normal "cheats" for this contest.  Usually I
listen for the K,N,W, or A and know all I have to get is the number and suffix.
 This time I had to get it all from the start.  I had to keep telling myself I
didn't have to send as fast as the other op. Sometimes if the other op is fast
I tend to rush myself and get "all shook up".  I send ok at 18-20wpm, but
poorly if I get any faster.  Thanks to all who endured my fist.

I came across some ops sending what had to be 40+wpm.  My question is why?
Many of us simply couldn't, or wouldn't take the time to try to copy you at
that speed.  It probably cost you as many contacts as you gained by the
increased speed. If you were trying to impress with your code speed it didn't
work, I didn't even copy your call.

I hope everyone had a good time in the contest.  If you hear WK4P on the bands,
phone CW, or PSK, please say howdy, sit a spell, and take your shoes off.  Next
contest y'all come back now, ya hear.

Peace and 73
Adam WK4P