[3830] ARRLDX CW EI/W5GN SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 19 05:41:42 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: EI/W5GN
Operator(s): W5GN
Station: EI/W5GN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Co. Clare

  160:    6     5
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1149   153  Total Score = 527,391

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

After only 81 Qs in the first four hours, it looked pretty bleek.
The BigIR that played so well in CQWW failed (the copper strip
fell off the spool and jammed internally), so I resurrected the old
Comet Vertical (that I had set on fire on 80 meters) for 40-10 and
the half-wave inverted L's for 80 and 160, but 40 was covered with
EU Cq'ers and S&P was rough with the vertical, and it was too early
for 80 and 160 with only the IC756PROIII and 99 watts, so I went to
bed sadly at 4am.  (I LOVE the sound of EI/W5GN 5nn nn, but a dozen or
so folks needed the full 5nn 99 before that final nn dawned on them.)
But on Saturday, I began to compare the 80 Inverted L thru the MFJ
tuner, and it played far better on all bands than the dinky CP-6, and
I began to have more fun.  Twenty played very well and remained open
for a very good run (okay, a fast walk) Saturday evening, and
prospects Sunday morning were for perhaps 750 QSOs.  Then 15 opened
very well; it looked that 900 Qs might be possible, and then a fair
run on 20 after 15 went away made 1000 Qs look do-able, but then, I
went to 40 and had 138 Qs in hour 22 on 7038 that just made my day!
(The pileup clearly said I had been spotted; I also knew earlier I had
been spotted on 15 when I had back-to-back calls from W3LPL, K3LR, and
KC1XX!) So I'm tickled pink with 1149 Qs with only an 80 inverted L
(which played better on 160 than the 252 foot inverted L). But let's
hear it for location, with an extra hour of prop to the USA from EI!