[3830] ARRLDX CW HI3TEJ(K7BV) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 19 17:20:44 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: HI3TEJ
Operator(s): K7BV
Station: HI3TEJ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Puerto Plata, DR

   40: 1070    58
   20: 1242    59
   15: 1253    59
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total: 4533   292  Total Score = 3,970,908

Club: Loma del Toro Contest Club

Comments:

Originally, I had planned to return to the "Top of the Caribbean" to operate the
fantastic Loma del Toro Contest Club of HI3CCP at 4,000+ feet. They made me an
official member this year at the Orlando Hamcation so now I a proud member of
the team. However, a job and QTH change from the East Coast to the West Coast
wore me down pretty bad the last few months. So, instead I spent a few days
with my friend Teddy HI3TEJ in Puerto Plata and operated his home station down
near the beach.  I started the contest with one goal - operate as long as it
was fun without Go for the Gold mental strength...and stress hihi

Teddy's station back about 300' from the ocean at sea level and the huge'CCP up
on top of the mountain play the bands entirely different I noticed.  Both play
wonderful, of course, but the band openings and peak strength of the openings
occur at somewhat different times.  No 48 hours for me this time.  I was still
so tired from the long hours at the new job I could not even make the first 12
hours without stopping to sleep...I think the new full head of gray hair
affects the body and makes it tough for a guy to do 48 hours. It felt good to
just get up and go take a snooze instead of dancing with the dragons that
appear on top of the radios when I need sleep! Another nice snooze on Sunday
morning was such a welcome relief; maybe I need to forget this 48 hour
craziness.

Teddy had just completed his project to load the 60' tower on 160 meters. It
worked terrific. I never would have thought so many people could hear my 100
watts. He also put up a 80 meter vertical hanging off the tower just in time
for the contest; it worked good too.  Half of an older 2el Hygain short 40m did
the work on that band and a new 4el SteppIR was very easy to use on the high
bands.

I began to dream of maybe getting some sort of top LP score in the contest with
the numbers already on the log Sunday morning. But, of course, that was only a
dream because wishing for a 10m opening is too much to ask of the Sun at this
point in the solar cycle.  Alas, that was the case.  I only managed to find 3
of the big M/M sigs to work regardless of where I pointed the yagi.

I live for hot paced pile-up with super operators.  I have proud to be a
Pile-up Piggy!  Thank you all for all of the fun and smiles as I encountered
one old friend after another.

73, Dennis HI3/K7BV