[3830] ARRLDX CW EE5E(@EA5RS) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Feb 23 13:16:56 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: EE5E
Operator(s): EA5BY,EA5FID,K1DG,EA5RS
Station: EA5RS

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Punta Prima 38N 0.5W
Operating Time (hrs):

   40: 1016    54
Total: 3231   251  Total Score = 2,432,943

Club: LYNX DX Group

Comments:

TX       2x FT1000MP, Alpha 76 & Acom2000
Ants     Single tower
         160m       Inv L
         80m        Inv vee @ 20m
         40m        3 ele yagi @ 24m
         20/15/10m  X7 @ 27m & A3 @ 21m

This all started last summer in Brazil during WRTC.
I invited Doug K1DG to join our group for ARRL DX CW and he suggested using the
weird call EE5E; credit (and/or blame) goes to him

Had a GREAT time,

- being helped by Juan FID and Tony BY with antenna repairs
- stringing the 160m inv L over the neighbours house
- laying the radials across the street
- learning what a big difference extra radials make on the inv L (wkd to
SD,CA)
- learning how its input impedance decreases !!!
- designing a coax matching stub on the fly (worked great!!!)
- repairing the ACOM during the contest
- reducing interstation interference
- comparing signal strength (in the US) vs competitors thru the Internet with a
Web receiver (on the low hours, hi!)
- contesting together with Doug almost 20 years after meeting him
- learning how a great op like him manages a contest operation
- monitoring progress compared to 2006 and competitors

some odds

- clicky signals
- Amplitude Modulation (100,200,300,400 Hz) of CW carrier on several EUs
(subcarriers as actual "anti-QRM protective barriers"!!!)
- extremely poor condx on the high bands (even 20m)

in summary

spending a great weekend with friends enjoying our hobby

Looking forward to ARRL CW 2008

73,
Juan EA5RS