[3830] TBDC KU5B(@NX5M) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 1 17:14:02 EST 2007

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: KU5B
Operator(s): KU5B
Station: NX5M

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Somerville, TX

Total:  QSOs = 435  Total Score = 1,666

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Good fun! Bob asked me if I wanted some 'serious air time' since I've been back
from college and I just couldn't resist. As always, thanks to them for letting
me invade their place.

Man, this was hard work. Static crashes started as the sun went down and never
went away. Must've been from all the storms to the east. Sorry for all the
"AGN?" requests but the 160m gods weren't happy. I saw the post on CQ-CONTEST
and took a look at the plaques that were offered and saw the Op under 21 and
more than 100 QSO award. That pretty much sealed the deal. I knew 100 q's would
be easy to beat and from a top notch station I'd certainly be able to do more.
Even through all the noise the majority of the signals were quite loud.
Basically only CQ'd the whole contest but did look around a couple of times
when things got slow. Only a few DX worked but they all called me! When G3PQA
called me I thought I must have been hallucinating...thanks for sticking it out
with me John! That was the only EU worked but did manage to work one ZL, one HP,
one P4 and 3(!) KH6's. Other than that only K and VE were worked.

This was my first one but certainly not my last. Hey, there's only two more
years I'm eligible for that plaque. C'mon you young folk, join in!

The only complaint I had during the entire test was people not sending "QRL?"
before CQing. Come on guys...lets use some sense. Also, CQing 20 KHz away
doesn't solve the problem most of the time either.

Colin, KU5B

respec.