[3830] RAC Winter W0BH M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jan 3 16:02:56 EST 2007

                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH, COEL
Station: W0BH

Class: M/S HP
QTH: KS

  160:   26      9       4         2
   80:   80    138       6         8
   40:   60     45       4         6
   20:   70    222       5        12
   15:    0      0       0         0
   10:    0      0       0         0
    6:    0      0       0         0
    2:    0      0       0         0
Total:  236    414      19        28  Total Score = 190,820

As the credit card commercial goes:

New contest voice keyer from MFJ, $189.95.
Newly 12-year-old enthusiastic contester-to-be named Coel from BC, priceless!

And she almost didn't make it as Coel and her family (relatives from Langley
BC) got stuck in the Denver airport overnight during the second big storm of
the year. But she did make it and I found out driving everyone home from the
Wichita airport on Saturday morning that she'd been looking forward all year to
being able to get back on Uncle Bob's radio and helping with another contest.
Music to my ears and then more to hers as she found out about the RAC Canada
Winter Contest still going on for a few more hours. A chance to talk back to
her home country!

You all know the rest of the story since so many of you worked Coel. We started
out with me handling the CQs / call signs and Coel doing the numbers. The voice
change caused more than a few chuckles and some occasional confusion. We
finished with me leaning back in the easy chair just typing in call signs and
listening in amazement as she showed me how CQing really isn't necessary as she
ran 131 Qs in just over two hours on 20 SSB. Not a bad way to spend part of your
twelth birthday! MANY thanks to those of you with birthday wishes for Coel and
helpful hints and encouragement along the way. She certainly learned her
phonetic alphabet and also the meaning of the word "pileup"!

Overall, we worked 8 RAC stations and all the mults except NT. We did hear a
loud NT on SSB, but couldn't work him since he was below 14.150. Canadian Qs
numbered 336 / 650 = 51.7%, so the band really was in to Canada from Kansas.
Special thanks to VY0DU in Nunavut for a nice mult and QSO. Also VE4CCA who
found us as well from Thompson MB. We met Peter last summer during our trip up
to Churchill MB to see the beluga whales and polar bears.

Happy New Year to all and here's to many more Qs in 2007. Perhaps we'll hear
Coel on with her own license in 2007!

73, Bob, w0bh
w/Coel on the side