[3830] RTTY Roundup AB0RX(@W0MA) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 8 21:47:36 EST 2007

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AB0RX
Operator(s): AB0RX, K0BX
Station: W0MA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MO

Total: 1159  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 62  Total Score = 141,398

Club: Other (specify when prompted)

Comments:

K0BX and AB0RX operated at a team again in the RTTY Roundup.  This year we
operated as AB0RX instead of W0MA as we have in the past.

We started out on 20 meters beaming EU.   Many EU stations were workable but
the big surprise was hearing and working ZL2AMI 30 minutes into the contest off
the back of the antenna (or possibly long path - only he knows).   We then moved
to 15 meters which was OK until a small “pop” was heard and then there was
no RF output from the amplifier anymore.  Fortunately, a second amplifier was
available and was immediately put to use.   Unfortunately the second amplifier
had not been tested in a RTTY contest before and exhibited an internal arcing
condition when driven to full output.  This forced us to operate QRP for the
remainder of the contest with only 500W PEP.  We lost about 45 precious minutes
of operating time tinkering with the equipment.

After the dust settled we had 1159 QSOs and 121 multipliers.   This was about
15% less QSOs than last year, but four more multipliers.    We missed North
Dakota and LB, NU, NWT, and YT RAC sections.  We worked about the same number
of NA stations as last year but the number of EU and Asia stations worked was
down significantly.  Band conditions were worse than last year so that had more
to do with it than DX enthusiasm for RTTY.   Almost 60% of our QSOs came on 40
and 80 meters.  We tried 10 meters a couple times but only netted 7 QSOs.   The
top rate was 98 QSOs/Hr on 80 meters from 4-5:00 UTC.