[3830] NAQP CW K8GU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 14 01:18:56 EST 2007

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K8GU
Operator(s): K8GU
Station: K8GU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL

  160:    2     2
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  458   131  Total Score = 59,998

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC #3

Comments:

Station:

TS-930SAT/PIEXX+Inrad Roofing+Inrad 400's
TS-930SAT/PIEXX+Kenwood 500's
40/20/15 fan dipole at 25 feet
80 zig-zag dipole at 25 feet
20 ground plane at 15 feet
130' BOG unterminated

Soapbox:

Had great plans to do this from K9ZO (Thanks to Ralph for getting the station
almost ready, though!)...but, the threat of ice storms kept me home.  I'm happy
with some parts of my performance and not so happy with others.  I thought of
N4ZR's CQ-Contest post about concentration several times in the first two hours
as I tried to make a go of it on 20, 15, and 10 with only one radio and no beam.
 The second radio really helps you maintain focus.

Felt louder on 80, 40, and 20 than I ever have from this QTH.  Had S9 buzzing
on 80 for most of the contest.  I laid out a short BOG this morning; that
helped a little bit.  I was still an alligator...sorry!

The Inrad roofing filter for the TS-930S is great.  I haven't done the blocking
measurements, yet.  But, it really performed well with strong local and skywave
sigs.

Thanks to local Zack, W9SZ, who QRB'ed with me for the IL mult on 10, 15, and
160, as well as the other three bands!

73 and thanks for the QSOs...

--Ethan, K8GU/9.
http://www.k8gu.com/