[3830] ARRL Jan VHF W0AH Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 23 15:38:41 EST 2007

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: W0AH
Operator(s): W0AH
Station: W0AH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM85  S.C.

  1.2:    9     6
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  286   149  Total Score = 60,196

Form did NOT allow me to put in Carolina DX Assn for club.
Like others, I had line noise Saturday until front started to come through
Saturday night.  Tropo was flat the entire contest after great conditions the
previous weekend.  About half my ten WSJT skeds worked out, and I caught the
brief Es opening into zero land Saturday, but could not get a single reply to
my CQs so it was all S+P, and I worked about eight Es stations.  My puny  5
element 222 yagi cut for 224 had a higher than normal SWR allowing me to run
only 60 watts Saturday, and after it started raining Sunday, only 25 watts.  A
222 yagi replacement is high on the list of things to do before June contest.
I also hope to replace the ancient 6M 5 element beam on 12' boom with something
better and be on 903 and 2304 by June.
The new hilltop QTH is as good as I had hoped with great shots northeast,
south, and west with the path NW and north over the mountains pretty good.
Thanks to the 3 rovers I heard and worked N4FLM, AA4ZZ, and N2MH- a total of 15
contacts on 4 bands.  We definitely need more rovers down here (and of course
rover rules that don't penalize, scorewise, activating out-of-the-way grids) to
be competitive with the northeast and midwest.  Actual VHF+ activity in the
southeast is very good, and I hope you guys up north will look down this way
more often.  There are a lot of us!  I will probably have a new K4 call before
the June contest.  Thanks for all the Qs.
Doug