[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K3EAR(K9PW) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jan 24 15:42:03 EST 2007

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K3EAR
Operator(s): K9PW
Station: K3EAR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FM19

  1.2:   58    19
  2.3:    8     5
  3.4:   13     6
  5.7:   13     7
  10G:    8     4
  24G:    7     5
-------------------
Total: 1224   248  Total Score = 555,520

Club: South Mountain Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first serious single-op in a January contest.  Compared to June &
September, there is significantly more activity thanks to strong club
participation.  Even with flat conditions, there was an endless string of
QSO’s when the antennas were east (Packrats) or north (Rochester VHF Group).
This kept rates at a steady 30-40 per hour right up to the end.  Ice damage to
stations north & west meant a few Q’s or grids were missed.  An 84 mile
contact on 24 GHz was a personal best.  Looks like I missed the 6m Es opening,
but did complete a 5.7G snow scatter contact with W4SHG.

A couple WSJT skeds where missed when the output T/R relay on 2 meters stopped
switching.  The Lunar Link amplifier just kept on working fine into the open
circuit.  That’s one tough amplifier!  Special thanks go to Russ (N3EMF) for
some last minute tower climbing to identify a bad line on 903 & attempt to get
47G running.  2.3G died Saturday evening, so missed a few easy contact & grids
there.  But easily made up for it with more contacts on the bottom four bands.

Thanks again to Walt & Russ for the use of their fine station.