[3830] CQ160 CW AA4FU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 28 20:34:54 EST 2007

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AA4FU
Operator(s): AA4FU
Station: AA4FU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 341  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 7  Total Score = 45,902

I wasn't planning on a serious effort for this one and didn't even turn on the
radio until after 03:30 Saturday, but I had been reading up on some ideas for
160m antennas and decided to try one.  I shorted the center conductor and
shield on the coax feeding my old 80m dipole and it worked great.  I fed it
through the random wire binding post on my antenna tuner and was able to keep a
low SWR for the entire band. Now I just need to get it higher in the trees.

I managed to work 45 states, missing AK, HI, ID, ND, & WY. I heard one station
from ND with a strong signal, but the pileup was huge. I also heard one from WY
but he wasn't hearing me.  I couldn't hear any stations from Europe, except for
CU2A. Getting the antenna higher should help.

Most of my time was spent in S&P mode, but I did have a few brief runs. My
biggest surprise was having a NM station answer one of my CQs!