[3830] CQ160 CW LN3Z(@LA6YEA) Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 29 06:14:23 EST 2007

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: LN3Z
Operator(s): LA6YEA LA8HGA
Station: LA6YEA

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: JO48XX

Total:  QSOs = 1466  State/Prov = 31  Countries = 71  Total Score = 851,292

Great contest. Jon (LA8HGA) was a rookie on lowband contest, but has after this
been bitten by the "low band virus" :) We had FUN - but still focus on doing
our best.

Second day rates falling dramaticly, but that was no suprise. I never thought
we could work som many EU stations, and particular DL. Think we made some 220
DL stations !! Only ONE Japan stn worked, and condx no good that way.

USA: Well the condx was on and off, on and off, all the time. No really big
signals. Our TX antenna had a swr ratio from 2:1 in 1810-1845. It would have
been an idea running high in band, abt 1870-80, but swr and power regulations
makes it difficult. Guess another TX antenna for the "high end" would be
possible next year...that will help out the US coping us. W5-6-7 was not heard
- sad but true. Under good condx I can easily work that area on 160m.

First night we discovered that signals sounded to low on the USA beverage.
Signals were ok on tx, so we thought maybe signals were skewed path. However,
checking the dualwire beverage in daylight discovered that the USA beverage was
hooked up with the south east wire......what a sight!!! A moose or something
must have caused that, but it was easy to fix, and we had it ok again. Probably
lost a few contacts due to this. (Murphy is a reliable fellow)
The rx ants worked out just perfect. If anybody ever beleive the dont need rx
antennas on 160m - come and visit during a contest. I beleive we worked 3-400
qsos more than we would have without them.

In the end of the contest, when the rate is at the lowest, 9N7JO and 7Z1SJ
called us !! Thanks a million !!

Hope we did not step on anys toes. Hard to find free frequencies - and we were
stepped on a couple of times. I guess its just a matter of whats paying off,
hold on to your QRG, s/p or finding another QRG.

Heres the gear list:

RIG: IC-756PRO3
AMP: Command HF-2500
Tx ant: Titanex V160S 27,5 meter vertical
RX ant: Dual wire beverage antennas 1100 feet long - 4 pcs NW/NE/SE/SW
Software: Wintest 3.8

Think maybe we made a norweigian record multi op for this contest ??
73 Paul - LA6YEA