[3830] REF CW VO1HE SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 29 18:39:39 EST 2007

                    REF Contest, CW

Call: VO1HE
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: The Rock

   80:   6      6
   40:  11     10
   20:  45     34
   15:   7      6
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  69     56  Total Score = 11,592

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

Not as good as last year. 15 never opened up that well but had more on 80 and
the same on 40. 20 was about the same. 10 was right out. I checked it a couple
times but never heard a peep.

We were in the midst of a wind storm with 110kph gusts and my beam wouldn't
stay pointed to Europe at all. The week before we had about the same wind and
my 160 antenna got snapped, due to my own fault for not slackening up the
rope.

All in all it's been a pretty brutal week for wind and storms. Had 30cm of snow
over the weekend, had 15cm today (Jan 29) and we're supposed to get 30cm
tonight. If we get enough, I may be able to climb the snowbank and fix my 160
antenna.

Was a bit disappointed in the level of activity in the contest. Once I had
scanned the bands a few times, I had everyone I could hear worked. The second
day there were a few new stations on which helped get the log up to just mildly
less than last year. I think it is pretty well de rigeur in contests that are
based on one country only. We have a similar thing here with the RAC contests
but we are allowed to work others for less points. I heard a few other
Europeans calling CQ REF but it was useless to work them.

Anyway, on to the ARRL Int'l DX CW contest in a couple weeks.

73 -- Paul VO1HE