[3830] CQ160 CW VE2TZT Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 30 20:49:25 EST 2007

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE2TZT
Operator(s): VE2TZT
Station: VE2TZT

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Montreal (QC)

Total:  QSOs = 1134  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 59  Total Score = 728,793

Club: Contest Group du Quebec

Comments:

Very pleasant conditions without comparison with those of the December ARRL
160.

First Night, I went to first sleep at 13z with 673qso and 87 mults witch seemed
do be a good rate. As everybody, had experimented some Eu mults but no many
Europeans answers during the runs for this night.

45mn wasted because of a S7 neighbor noise (drill ?) at sunset for the
beginning of the 2sd night and usual lower rates because most of local stations
was already in the log.
During the first half of this second night, seeing the hours passing without
European opening and still missing some obvious European multipliers, I have
invested 3 periods of 1 hour in S&P for only 11 multipliers.
It was not a good choice, at 4h30z, the feast had at least began and I have
enjoyed a 2h30 pileup with European stations, working again into the few fist
minutes all the multipliers that I had spent hours to previously contact in
S&P. Anyway, this pileup of very low level signals was an real enjoyment and
those moments are one of the raisons why I like contest. My apology to all the
stations that I have heard but was unable to pull the call sign out of the
noise.
The period following this opening was great too, T32MO had made me the pleasure
to answer to my cq, giving me by the way a 160m DXCC new one.
Just a mention for TF3KX too, who called me and was very patient repeating many
times his call sign. I had a very strange experience with this qso, the signal
was too weak on the Beverages and I was only able to hear him on TX
antenna.Understanding his call through the tx antenna noise was a challenge.

At least, at the extreme end of the night, just before going to sleep, in a
last search, for conscience, of  the not to be found WY multiplier, I found it
just at the beginning of my scan on 1801 ! I stopped there the scan and when to
sleep without asking anything more to the luck for that day. It will be the last
but one multiplier of the contest.

No many station setup improvement from last year, except that Beverages are now
reversible, and that I have doubled in an end-fire configuration the 160m long
Beverage to Europe (60deg).
The end-fire 160m long was a last minute installation with too short ground
rods and had no time to test the efficiency. Was not worse than an unique
element, but didn’t feel a great plus, perhaps a deep null to some W8/W9
stations but very narrow in direction. To be verified.

Thanks to every stations who called me and it will be a pleasure to contact you
again during the next contest.

TX : FT1000 mkV Field / VL-1000 (kW)
Tx ant: 22m wire vertical T between trees.
Rx ant : 160m Reversible Beverage 60/240deg , 200 m reversible Beverage (90/270
deg), 85m reversible Beverage (0/180deg)