[3830] RAC Day VA7ST SOAB/CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 1 20:33:22 EDT 2007

                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB/CW HP
QTH: BC

  160:    1              0
   80:   19              4
   40:  140              8
   20:  443             11
   15:    9              2
Total:  612     0       25         0  Total Score = 61,750

* 3 ele. tribander @ 45'
* 40M half-squares
* 80M vertical
* 160M inverted-L
* FT920 + SB221
* N1MM Logger

Flux: 74  | Ap: 5  | Kp: 2 = a struggle.

Just couldn't find the mults I needed, as the low bands were in horrible shape.

Nothing much to hear on 80M (4 mults) or 160M (0 mults), so despite a pretty
high Q count I'll end up far down the list this year again. West coast just
ain't no fun for mults in this one, when low bands are so short, 40M went way
long, and 15M and 10M aren't in the mix this far west. Would have been great to
have ready access to the ON and QC lads. All those unavailable 10-pointers add
up fast.

Note to self: build something decent for 80M again.

The 40M half-squares worked well. Worked F5IN on 40M (EU's a tough slog from
here on that band), and was called by several ZLs and young VK4FRAJ (had to
listen a few times to be sure it was a four-letter suffix).

Did find NU at last, in the final half hour on 20M. Never heard a peep out of
YT or PEI, though (and I looked around for them often).

I thought the VE turnout was low on CW. Just 7 RAC stations and 139 other VEs
worked, total across all bands. Thank goodness for a decent EU opening Saturday
evening. When I had worked all W stations that could hear me, I turned to EU and
had a great time. Small points but big fun.

What is with all the dupes? No other contest produces so many for me, and the
final hour was the worst. Lots of time wasted either working the dupes or
trying to work needed stations under them.

Wasn't bored once in this one, even during long and plaintive CQs -- there were
enough surprises, such as VE8RAC calling in, to keep me in the chair. Sure
appreciated the MANY stations who were obviously jumping in for a few contacts.
Low numbers abounded. Thanks for the points.

Year  CW     Ph     Mults           Score
2007: 612     0       25         0  61,750
2006: 445     0       23         0  45,218
2005: 167     0       16         0  12,800
2004: 160     0       15         0  13,800
2003: 126     0       23         0  19,642