[3830] IARU K7ZSD M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 16 01:20:53 EDT 2007

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K7ZSD
Operator(s): KI7Y, KR7X, K7AR, K7ZS, K7ZSD
Station: K7ZSD

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NW Oregon

  160:    8      3      5       1
   80:   61     16      8       3
   40:  473    203     25      17
   20:  328    491     32      15
   15:   86     47     11       8
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:  956    760     81      44  Total Score = 596,375

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

This contest prodded me to start a month ago and put up 2 new antennas and work
more on antenna switching, I usually do these things in October, and thanks to
a lot of help, they are now done. It sure is nice doing antenna work in the
summer. Many thanks to Hank, Kevin, Al, and Jim for going the distance to help
put up antennas, and then spend time here for the contest. It was an enjoyable
Saturday here and mostly relaxed, good conversation, food, and drink. The 24
hour format is rather comfortable especially with 5 operators splitting time on
one transmitter.

The weather was just beautiful, 76 degrees, so we sat outside, inside, cooked
and relaxed. In retrospect, we could have spent more time making sure we worked
all the mults available. We all enjoy a good run, and early on I suggested
running over searching and pouncing for mults. I remember saying several times
that later in the day would be better for working the dim afternoon Euro
signals. Being heard through the Midwest and East Coast wall is an exercise in
patience during marginal conditions. Unfortunately, 20 meters worsened through
the day, and our west coast evening summertime propagation over the pole was
gone, hence, very few European mults, even the big HQ stations were gone. There
seemed to be no opening on 40m to Europe as well.

Fortunately 20m to the states from here on the west coast really started to
produce great runs in the evening. Then around 11pm local, 40m phone was hot
with a great run. The rates were so good we did not go back to 20m where
propagation over the pole came back around 1am local, I found this out after
the fact. We really had fun the last four hours on 40m cw with great rate and
big Asia and Oceana numbers. Jim, KI7Y was grinning ear to ear running 40m cw.
We finished the contest at 5am local with a good QSO total, and a really low
mult score. I will read this post next year before the contest. Many thanks to
all the great ops out there.  Brad K7ZSD