[3830] IOTA K6GEP SO(A)12Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 31 01:28:34 EDT 2007

                    IOTA Contest

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SO(A)12Mixed LP
QTH: CA

   40:   26      13        1       1
   20:   27       8       18       7
Total:   53      21       19       8  Total Score = 16,704

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

My first time out entering the IOTA contest. As everyone else has said,
the conditions were awful.  Neither of the big summertime contests had
a good opening to Europe this year.  Thankfully, I have been working some
good DX on the weeknights to make up for it.

It was a combination of boredom and frustration, punctuated by the exhilaration
of working some rare DX.  From North America, there were very few stations to
work. The pileups for DX were horrendous, even worse than ARRL DX or CQWW.
The assisted mode helped quite a bit in this contest.

In addition to the high K index (3 & 4), the QRN from the monsoon season in
Arizona was bad here!

New DX worked for band fills:  KG6DX (Guam), JW0, and FW0.

Thanks to all the VKs and ZLs for their multipliers.

Seems to me like there were more KH2's than KH6's this contest.

As a little pistol, I tend to frustrate myself on 20m during the day.
I think maybe in the upcoming NAQPs, that if 15 and 10 aren't open
mid-day, that I am going to leave the radio off and do other things
until about 0000z.

No man is an island, so thanks go to the RSGB for sponsoring the event, and
also to all the dxpeditions out there.

Rig:  FT-990
Ants:
     Alpha Delta DX-CC Multiband Dipole as sloper from 50 ft
     2 Element Dipole beam on 20 pointed north
     40 meter inverted vee up 50 feet at apex

Software: N1MM Logger - I am getting more comfortable with it. CW keying
    is really smooth.