[3830] WPX CW KQ2M SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jun 30 21:33:09 EDT 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KQ2M
Operator(s): KQ2M
Station: KQ2M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

My antennas and towers survived a direct hit from a CONFIRMED EF-1 tornado on
5/16 which did a lot of damage to Newtown, CT and closed the schools for 2
days.  Fortunately EF-1 tornados are pretty rare here in CT and and not even
close to the nightmare that devasting tornados routinely produce in other parts
of the country.  Still, there was a 30 second eternity when the swirling extreme
winds and writhing trees made it seem like a certainty that my towers would
fall.

After missing the WPXSSB (my favorite contest)for only the 2nd time in 31
years, I was looking forward to this one.  In early March I sustained a painful
injusry to my right ear drum which brought on the horror of severe tinnitus.
Tinnitus has no cure, and you can't make it stop.

With medical treatment and major diet and lifestyle changes over the next 2 1/2
months, the tinnitus subsided to the level of a major constant annoyance - but
the reality of trying to copy cw through the constant multi-tone high pitched
whines and whistles was a cruel reminder of how far I have yet to go.
Unfortunately, headphones only worsen the experience, so after 2-3 hours, the
discomfort, pain and internal noise repeatedly drove me off the air to recover.
 I have difficulty now copying cw signals, especially in high qrm and qrn cndx
and the thought of meaningful SO2R is almost laughable. It is VERY frustrating
to say the least!  I am sorry to say that unless this goes away, serious SOAB
contest efforts will, for me, be just a memory.

On the bright side, having lost almost 30 pounds since early March, I weigh
LESS than when I was married 14 years ago!  How many of you contesters can make
that statement?!   :-)

I was pleasantly surprised at what I thought were excellent bottom of the cycle
conditions.  80 was quiet and solid for 2 hours to EU Friday night and 40 was
productive.  20 was excellent on Saturday and Saturday night.  15 was poor from
New England but 10 had a really good, if spotty opening to Europe!
Most years, even at the TOP of the cycle, 10 refuses to open to EU.  So this
was a treat - even if not enough EU contesters pointed their antennas at NA.

The EU scores were remarkable on 10 and 15.  That sporadic E opening must have
been INCREDIBLE - if you were in Europe, that is.

It was a great contest, with lots of fun and many surprises.  Even if I can't
do serious SOAB efforts anymore, I still don't want to miss the contests.  I
keep working hard at getting better and I will hope for the best!  73 and
thanks for the Q's!

Bob KQ2M

kq2m at earthlink.net