[3830] ARRLDX SSB KR1ST SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 4 19:47:56 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KR1ST
Operator(s): KR1ST
Station: KR1ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Ladson, SC

  160:  10     10
   80:  24     20
   40:  27     17
Total:  61     47  Total Score = 8,601

Rig: IC-756ProIII
Ant: 160m Coax Inverted L
      80m Inverted V
      40m 40 Doublet
Pwr: 100 Watts

Since I'd have only a few hours to play in this contest I decided to only work
40, 80, 160 meters. I'm usually a QRP operator, but because of the limited time
available to me and the choice to operate only the lower bands, I thought I
wouldn't punish myself (and the receiving operators) any further by operating
QRP. The biggest thrill for me was to work several European and South American
stations on 160 meters. The limited effort actually made it a quite pleasurable
and relaxing experience.

I was rather surprised though that some stations gave up so easily when they
would only get my suffix in two calls. Especially since there was no one else
to work so late at night and QSB can be slow on the lower bands, one would
think they would put a greater effort into making a contact. What I also don't
understand is why folks don't use different techniques to complete a QSO, like
you'd find in VHF weak signal work.

In any case, it was a fun contest to work this way. We'll do it again next
time.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com