[3830] ARRLDX SSB KB1H M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 5 12:17:36 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KB1H
Operator(s): AA1CE, KB1H, KE1LI, N1GKI, N2TTA, NB1U, W1TJL, KB1DFB
Station: KB1H

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CT

   20: 1336   114
Total: 2614   413  Total Score = 3,210,249

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This is the story, not an excuse.

Still having vision and vertigo problems from a concussion limited my
operating
time greatly. Not that it matters but it meant our overnight crew was very very
short
in operators. The daytime guys ran as much as they could but we still could
have
done better with fresher bodies.

Weather did not allow us to fix the 3 element KLM 40M beam so we had a slight
disadvantage there. We relied heavily on the 4-Square system.

Daytime was basically W1TJL, NB1U, and N2TTA. Nighttime Friday was KB1H, AA1CE,

and KB1DFB. Saturday night was only AA1CE from 0600Z until 1100Z.  KE1LI showed

up Sunday for two QSOs and N1GKI was here for an hour Sunday.

We felt pretty good about our score and the Realtime Scoreboard is REALLY
GREAT!
It is a incentive beyond expression. Thank you to W1VE and the software writers
for
this added feature. Wish more would use it!

I am sure that at this point in the sunspot cycle our 20M system is just not
working
well. Too low! Top antenna is only at 90' plus it is an older Telrex 5 element
made
before computer optimizing. Do we change or do we wait for the sunspots? The
longer we wait the closer we are to sunspots and the older I get making the
waiting game more attractive.

Thanks to all for the QSOs and the local help for preparations. Some calls
never
make it in the log as an operator but they come to help.

Look for us as NZ1U in the WPX contests.

73 Dick - KB1H