[3830] ARRLDX SSB ON4UN SOSB/80 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 7 08:02:54 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: ON4UN
Operator(s): ON4UN
Station: ON4UN

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: Ghent
Operating Time (hrs): 18h45

   80: 1055    56
Total: 1055    56  Total Score = 177,240

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Permarks:
Pretty good conditions, but not like last year (2006). The main difference that
the propagation did not stretch that far West as last year: last year I worked
25 stations in CA, now only 4! Last year I worked 48 W6-7 stations, now only
20. Even into the Midwest there was a difference. Example: in 2006 I worked 48
stations from Tex, now only 34. I nevertheless caught exactly the same number
of multipliers, and in the US missed only UT, NV and MT (W7LR, where were
you?). On Sunday morning there was a noticeable increase in noise level created
by statics, so summer is on its way…

I made 1056 good QSO’s (100 less than last year), the score was also about 10
% down from last year (which was a new Eu record).

The new band plan in the US was somewhat of a question mark. Should we refrain
from working split, and move below 3750 and work on our own frequency? Fact is
that not working split usually results in a higher QRM (splatter) level than
when we listen around 3850. I tried both. The first night I worked almost
exclusively split, and the second night and last few hours almost exclusively
single frequency. One of the problems is that all of a sudden some (mostly East
European) station plants itself smash on your transmit frequency and starts
calling CQ “listening 38..”…

The end fire phased Beverages to the USA performed very well, and did cut down
noise coming from the E-SE down considerably. I tried to work even the weakest
station, but I know I failed a number of times, where I caught half of a call
but never was able to get the rest of the call. I’ll try harder next year.

Thank you all for working me. I hope to see you all again next year.

73, John, ON4UN