[3830] ARRLDX SSB 6Y1V M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Mar 8 23:42:42 EST 2007

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: 6Y1V
Operator(s): KY1V K1LZ K9RS K4ISV K4CN W2GB
Station: 6Y1V

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Jamaica

--------------------
Total: 10161   327  Total Score = 9,967,941

First I would like to thank my dear friend amd partner Krassy (K1LZ) for helping
make this dream station come true. I couldn't have done it with out you!

I would also like to thank Steve (W2GB), Ray (K9RS), Don (K4CN) and Bud
(K4ISV). I am truly grateful for you all having spent your hard earned money
and time to come to Jamaica and operate with us at 6Y1V. You guys did a
fantastic job.

A special thank you goes to Bud (K4ISV) for his tower work prior to the
contest, particularly the repairs to the top ring rotor. Too bad I didn't get
it calibrated and synchronized with the bottom rotor before the contest. I
finished the work on Monday and the 40 meter stack is working awesome now! I
think we could have done better on 40 if the rotors were working properly as a
master/slave system. As it stood, we never moved either antenna.

Ray was a pillar on 20 meters. I asked him if he had super glue on his butt!
You can't drag this man out of the chair! Steve put up some fabulous rates on
15 meters while Krassy, Bud and Don did the hard job...the graveyard shift.

I shared 15 meters with Steve, but was there mostly for station support and
waiting for 10 meters to open. I hurt our Q count on 15 spending too much time
Saturday trying to force Q's on 10 meters, managing only 3 Q’s and 2 mults.
The band final opened on Sunday and we picked up 29 more mults.

I was truly worried 10 meters would be where PJ2T would hurt us the most as
they typically have better propagation  to the states (due to location) during
low sun spot conditions. I think our stack of 7/7 really helped keep up! It
should be interesting to compare stations when 10 really opens up.

The station is still in its infancy and there are many kinks to work out, but
overall I am happy with our score. We had a network issue sometime in the
middle of the first night and lost synchronization between the logs. I was able
to recover 38 lost Q's after importing the transaction logs. I am not certain if
we lost any additional Q's. If so, there probably wasn't enough to make a
difference. The PJ2T team simply spanked us on Q's.

Congratulations to the guys operating at PJ2T for their fabulous score. Geoff
has a great station, but more importantly, a great deal of experience operating
from the Caribbean. This is something that will be difficult to overcome, even
with all the hardware we have at 6Y1V. We look forward to competing more in the
future as we learn how to maximize our stations potential.

The station performed very well. The IC-7800's are with out a doubt the best
contest radios available today. Setup was a snap. I setup one radio and
transferred all the settings to the second radio via the CF Card. The whole
process took less then ten minutes including setting up the voice recorder..

Interference was never an issue. I created 3 default filters (2.4, 2.1 and 1.9)
using the new 3Khz roofing filters and hardly needed adjustments throughout the
contest. The built in voice keyers worked flawlessly. The bandpass filters
worked well as we had little to no interference between stations, except on 10
meters from the 20 meter station operating on a few frequencies in the general
class subband.

Our 160 meter antennas worked perfectly and the noise was so low we never had
to use the beverage or pennant for listening. The four square worked well, even
though the US is in the center null. I hope to put up an 80 meter yagi soon.

The stacks on 20/15/10 were awesome. Stations often told us we were the loudest
signal from the Caribbean. Signals were typical 2 to 3 S units stronger than on
the SteppIR stacks.

Thank you to every one that called us during this contest. We truly appreciate
the points.

The QSL info is on the website. Please check it out at www.6y1v.com.

73,

David ~ KY1V