[3830] Commonwealth VO1RAC(VO1HE) Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 11 13:40:43 EST 2007

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VO1RAC
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: The Rock

Total:  165  Total Score = 2,355

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

Another S&P event. Nice to hear VK/ZL on 80 and 40. I usually am not up early
enough for that and, with the BERU on, they were only working other BERU so
gave a pretty easy shot to work them with no big pileups. Got E51PJT on the
first call. He was stronger than some locals.

15M was open but not a lot of activity on it for me. 10M never opened at all. I
called CQ for about 10 minutes and managed to work VO1AU who was listening on
the second rig.

Best thing I heard was Dave G4BUO tell an American caller that he couldn't work
him in this contest because of 1776. The price of independence HI.

7Q7BP generated a huge, unruly pileup reminiscent of most any other day. I'd
give a call in vain but some stations called repeatedly without stopping to see
if he was coming back to anyone. I wonder where this practice came from. After a
call or two I would resume the S&P, sweep the band and come back to see if it
had thinned out any. Managed to get him after a while.

Had a bit of trouble getting Super Duper Commonwealth to key the rig with the
serial port as I didn't have a keyer interface but Paul EI5DI gave me a lot of
help with that and got it going. I'll be getting an interface ASAP though :)
The keystrokes were a bit hard to readjust to as well. I sent gibberish to a
lot of people I think. :(

All in all, not bad. I must confess.... I did start CQing at the end. I got
about 20 more contacts from that than I would have had continuing to S&P. Gotta
improve my ability to pick calls from a bunch. Another thing I have to work on
is getting resonant antennas for the low bands. A few ops tried to get me to
QSY, which was easy when I was LP, but now, with the SteppIR and the amp, it
just takes too long to tune up so I gave up doing that.

Anyway, thanks for the Qs and sorry to those few that I couldn't hear. See ya
in the next one.

FT-920
SB-220
3 El SteppIR