[3830] WPX SSB WB9Z SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 26 10:11:14 EST 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: WB9Z
Operator(s): WB9Z
Station: WB9Z

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: IL

   20: 1458

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Sure not the most fun contest I ever operated....

The local thunder storms really screwed up my schedule Friday
night and Saturday.  I shut down and disconnected the main
antenna feeds several times.... glad I did, I don't think
anything got blasted.

Never made it to 160.  I had the network at the base of the
160 vertical disconnected to protect it from lighting.  With
all the rain we have had, there is a big pond around the base
of the tower, so I said the hell with putting on the rubber boots
and 160 meters this weekend.

15 meters sure was as disapointment into EU, compared to the
ARRL DX CW and SSB Contest weekends as many EU's were worked
on 15 here both weekends.  I did work a few southern EU's including
VQ9 and 5B, nice to see some semi-rare African activity on 15.
No JA's were worked on 15.  Most 15 meter QSO's were made with the
second radio.

20 meters was the usual zoo and I'm still trying to figure out
why a certain KD2 would move within 300-500Hz of my clear run frequency
and call endless CQ's with no answers.  I lost track how many times
this idiot tried this, always CQing with no takers when I continued
to run stations.  With Seven 20 meter yagis to chose from, including
a 6 over 6 over 6 on a 200' tower... it going to take a LOT to run me off.

I'm sure glad the contest season is over for me for a while, I have
operated a LOT of contest since the September CQ WW RTTY contest, including
three from the PJ2T station.  But.... I'm sure in a few months I'll be
ready for the June VHF and July IARU World Championship.

WB9Z