[3830] WPX SSB NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 26 14:20:11 EST 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NV1N
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Glad that one is over...at least we know what the bottom feels like.

Long live the new Cycle!

I was actually thinking that the conditions would be good on the first
day and get worse as the contest went on based on the forecast and that
as I went for nap at 5:30pm local on Friday I was listening to JA
coming through nicely on 20M.

Contest started on 20M with some nice USA and SA.  Mostly S & P to start
but at a good clip.  I skipped 40 and went right to 80 at 01Z since EU
is never listening up at the start.  Had a decent run on 80 but all US
and Canada.  EU could not hear us at all on 80M.  I went to sleep at
06Z and was slightly ahead of last year. I am very pleased with the
performance of my 80M 2 el phased array.  Worked about 20 SA stations
at 05Z on 20M for a pleasant surprise.

20M was the absolute pits into EU all day Sat but the worst Sat morning
because EU was working each other and the US was not loud enough to crack
it.  It was so bad that I took a 1 hour off time at 13Z in the hope that the
conditions would recover.  They did a little and I look back and am glad
that I took that hour.

I had no EU Qs on 15M on Sat and had 10 10M Qs to LU and PY.  The 40M EU
was pretty bad Saturday late afternoon and evening but I did get a call
from a VK long path on my frequency.  I was constantly dragging behind
last years rate by 50 - 100 and never fully recovered it.  The plentiful
US prefixes made of the lack of UA and JA and Eastern EU prefixes but
obviously with lower points.

Slept again at 06Z.  20M sounded WAY better on Sunday morning however
it was impossible to get a run going to EU until about 16Z.  I believe
it was because 15M was so dead, even inter-EU, that literally EVERYONE
in EU was on 20M.  I was able to plug away at a 40ish rate S & Ping until
finally being able to "run" at 60 - 70 rate for a few hours in the
afternoon.

I was able to do a little 15M S & Ping into EU on Sunday.  I received
many "wow, you are my first USA station on 15M!" comments around 15Z
on Sunday.

Had some nice USA runs on 40 and 80M to end the contest from 21 - 00Z
with a little bit of EU mixed in.  The best 80M conditions to EU from
here seemed to have been the last 90 mins of the contest.  Unfortunately,
much of EU was QRT by then.

Even in crappy conditions, I continue to enjoy this contest.  The points
system, as crazy as it is, makes for some really interesting strategy
decisions.  Its a fun contest.

See you in WPX CW!

Ed  N1UR/NV1N

NV1N is the club callsign of my company, SB Electronics,
maker of the world famous "Orange Drop" capacitors since 1959!
www.sbelectronics.com