[3830] WPX SSB VP2E M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 26 20:17:48 EST 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VP2E
Operator(s): VP2E N5AU
Station: VP2E

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Anguilla

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

We were pleased to provide the VP2 prefix (mainly via S&P mode) to about 600
stations.   Ray ran some US on 15, and I called mainly EU, SA and US stations
on 15 and then 20.    Only one US station on 20 told us we were NOT a new
multiplier.   We even managed to work a few JA stations on 20 near the end.
After reading other comments about the overall contest conditions from the
Caribbean, I think we used the correct operating strategy for this one.

We got our first contest "taste" of our new logging software "Win-Test".   It
stayed networked perfectly.  (we only used 2 computers, but it stayed up
without any hickups)   It will take some time to learn all the various things
it can do, but our previous networking issues appear to be resolved without any
changes to hardware.   Since we won't be in S&P mode when cycle 24 starts
showing signs of life, we can't have any networking issues remaining when going
after the very top category in multi-contesting.

We have been busy since early February finishing the house and grounds
construction, and have recently started on the new antenna work.   15 meters
has found its new home on a tower far, far away from the 40 meter yagi.   Our
3L yagi is a super antenna for 7 MHZ, but it's pretty good on 15 as well.
This is not great news in a multi-transmitter environment!    20 meters is
already at home on its present tower, but will be changed to add new Telrex
yagis soon.   80 and 160 always present problems with keeping up good transmit
antennas without continual maintenance.    We're still working on this one.
"Hi" horizontals are great until the wind starts rising and they turn into
"Bye".