[3830] WPX SSB NZ1U(N2TTA) SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 26 22:00:52 EST 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NZ1U
Operator(s): N2TTA
Station: KB1H

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: CT

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I arrived 20 minutes before the contest. The first two hours was with SO1R.
N1GKI
and KB1H were working on a $5 SO2R setup. In the third hour I was able to move

to a different chair and play for the first time with SO2R. We were never able
seperate the audios so left radio in left ear and right radio in right ear.
This made
listening very hard with both radios in both ears.

20 Meters Day 1 was terrible. Heard KC3R and others running but was never
able to get a good run going. Much different and better on Day 2.

Jumping into the $5 SO2R for the first time at the start of the contest is not
recommended. No time to test and set software audio levels both in and out.
After too many complaints of terrible audio the true SO2R operation was
abandoned and just having two radios/amps for quick band changes was
nice.

Probably a critical mistake was not enough off time during the night. Towards
the end running on 20M was going good but I had to quit at 2100Z. Also no time
left for any low band QSOs to end the contest.

After stopping discussion with KB1H included managing operating time so there
is some left at the end where new stations are coming on and also to take
advantage of the 6 point QSOs that are harder for the Midwest guys to work.
After all, it takes 6 QSOs to equal the one on the lower bands. Understanding
propagation is also lessons to be learned. Where to be and when to be there.
Why more southern stations seem to have a better run rate at times. It is
amazing what a few hundred miles can mean.

Thanks to all for the QSOs and the use of the KB1H station.

Yuri - N2TTA