[3830] WPX SSB AG4RZ(@WB4MSG) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 27 10:34:12 EST 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AG4RZ
Operator(s): AG4RZ, KB6MTH, W2DZO, WB4MSG,WA4VMC,JIM
Station: WB4MSG

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Pfafftown, NC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

First major contest at WB4MSG since the rebuild.  Station layout worked great,
and we only have a couple of minor problems left to address.  We lost 2 radios,
but were able to get one back up, so we did the majority of the contest on three
rigs.

Radios used: FT1000mp, FT920 (still DOA), FT100, TS-450s (died but brought back
to life)
Amps used: Henry 2KD 80-10...what a workhorse.  it ran for the full contest
with no issues at all.  Dentron MLA-2500...another workhorse, and our only amp
on 160.  Homebrew amp, 80-10 , shame on me for not remembering what tube is in
the beast, but it is a well built unit we recently acquired when a local ham
decided to move into a retirement community.  This was actually the first time
we put power on the unit, and it worked well all weekend, and when paired with
the ft-100 made for one heck of an 80m station.  If you worked us on 80, this
is what you heard.

Thanks go to my father-in-law, Gene, WB4MSG, for the station and the bulk of
the equipment.  Thanks to Gary,WA4VMC, for the use of his TS-450s and the
Dentron.  Special thanks go to my wife, Brandy, for putting up with another
weekend of me being in "contest mode", and Special thanks go to my
mother-in-law, Cathy, KB4TKO, for all the food, drinks, and putting up with the
noise, heat, and general confusion that goes along with trying to keep a house
running during a contest weekend.

We lost 9 hours total to repairs and sleep....Gene and I just could not seem to
keep the radios covered during the overnight times.

Also, for anyone who uses eQSL:  I found out about our time problem with the
log after I had uploaded the log to eQSL.  (The log was off by 1 hour ahead)
Rest assured it is now correct in my logfiles, but I have not yet corrected all
the eQSL entries.  I will work on this as I get time.

Thanks to everyone that spotted us, and thanks to all the PVRC members for
support, contacts, spots, and motivation!

73,

Tim, AG4RZ