[3830] WPX SSB K9NW(@K9UWA) SOSB40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 28 17:30:09 EST 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K9NW
Operator(s): K9NW
Station: K9UWA

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: IN

   40: 1014
Total: 1014  Prefixes = 400  Total Score = 716,000

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Not anticipating being around all weekend, I had two objectives going into this
one:

   1) See how much DX could go in the log without operating split now that a
large part of Europe is QRV up to at least 7.200.  I only went split when
calling stations CQing below 7100.

   2) See how much daytime activity there might be on 40M.

#1 was affected by conditions, or lack thereof.  I was able to work most of the
usual suspects with the big stations in EU but was never able to tap into the
lower tiers.  JA heard but not worked....no QSX up.  VR2C had a nice signal
Sunday morning but same deal.  VK and ZL worked with decent signals, VK6 in
particular.  Bottom line is that 2 el @ 80' in NE Indiana wasn't quite enough
to overcome the bad condx this time.  It was much more enjoyable calling CQ and
only having to manage one frequency though!

#2 pleasantly surprised me.  While never fast and furious, there seemed to be a
slow but steady stream of callers always available during the daytime hours.
Because of this I actually spent a lot more time in the chair than I had
planned on.  Worked a fair number of /AG and /AE types and it was nice to be
able to take a little extra time to congratulate them on their new privileges.
Hopefully they had a good contesting experience and will be back in the fray for
future events.  ~830 1 pt QSOs!

Congrats to K5ZD and KY5R on nice scores.  As Randy noted, we might be a little
nuts for doing single 40M in a phone event.  I suppose someone has to do it
though.  Considering rehab.....

Thanks for the QSOs!

73, Mike K9NW