[3830] MidAtlQP K8MR/3 Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 14 14:21:05 EDT 2007

                    Mid-Atlantic QSO Party

Call: K8MR/3
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: CRA/MER PA

   40:     43       27
   20:     24        3
   15:      1        0
------------------------
Total:     68       30  Mults = 55  Total Score = 11,000

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This is a contest I ordinarily would not bother with, other than maybe a few
courtesy qsos.  However, my wife was out of town for the weekend and a Mother's
Day visit to my parents in Sharon, PA, was in order, so I decided to use the
opportunity to see if a one-man rover operation was feasable.  It's probably
not provided for in the rules (what a bunch of nit picking contained therein!),
but here's what I did.

I headed off to Pymatuning State park in Crawford county, crossing the state
line exactly at noon. I headed a few miles further into Jamestown to find a sub
shop and a bathroom, then headed back to find an empty picnic area.  With my
Eazy-Hang slingshot apparatus, I got a 40/20 inverted vee up about 40 feet at
the center, and in 15 minutes setup time was on the air. I was pleased with how
I seemed to be getting out, though activity was not much to get excited about.

I spent 75 minutes there, for 65 qsos, before packing up (another 15 minutes),
then headed south to Mercer county. I found another picnic area at the Shenango
Resevoir, somewhat busier than the first but by no means crowded. My first shot
into a suitable tree went up great, but never made it back down to the ground.
After pulling and tugging, the line snapped, so this time I resorted to a large
nut on the nylon string, slinging that up about 25 feet. Back on the air, again
with OK signals but little activity. Spent 45 minutes on the air before packing
up and heading on to see my parents.

Anyway, I decided that such a mode of operation would be an FB way to operate
one of the bigger QSO parties like PA, OH, or MI, especially once a little
solar activity returns and 40 meters supports in state propagation.

CU all at Dayton,

Jim   K8MR