[3830] MidAtlQP W0BH Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 14 14:36:54 EDT 2007

                    Mid-Atlantic QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: KS

  160:
   80:      3       0
   40:      0       0
   20:     12       1
------------------------
Total:     15       1  Mults = 15  Total Score = 465

The first camping trip of the "summer" (it was 85 degrees), so operated picnic
table portable from Marion Reservoir in Marion County KS using a 20m dipole up
about 25 feet and my Hustler resonators on the roof of my van. Worked MAQP,
FISTS, NVQP, and CQ-M stations in between canoeing and visiting, so my QSO
numbering included all those other contacts since I combined logs. Lorna
(K0WHY) and I were camping with Nelson (N0LRA) and JoAnne (N0QDE) as Nelson
tried out his "new" motorhome for the first time.

The funniest HF event happened on my first 20CW transmission.  A sudden noise
from inside the motorhome made everyone stop talking and listen. It seems my
signal tripped one of the slideout relays causing unexpected and exciting
things to happen if one just happened to be sitting inside!  I had just called
N2ED but for obvious reasons didn't complete the QSO until I heard him again
later.  Sorry, Ed!  We completely disconnected from the motorhome electrical
system and moved to the picnic table and a different ground. The problems went
away, but Nelson has some troubleshooting to do before he operates from the
motorhome again, especially while enroute.

Thanks for the fun!

73, Bob, w0bh