[3830] WPX CW K4TD SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 27 21:02:53 EDT 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K4TD
Operator(s): K4TD
Station: K4TD

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Harvest, AL

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

One of my Alpha 87a amplifiers is back at the factory for some TLC so I decided
to simplify my life and enter the Low Power category.  My plan was to apply
some of the SO2R advice I received at the Contest University.  Seems to have
been helpful as I managed to make about 10 percent of my QSOs on the second
radio.  I still need to practice, but the advice definitely helped.

One of my Orion XCVRs just returned from the Ten-Tec factory on Thursday before
the contest.  It was in for a filter capacitor replacement and general
preventive maintenance.  The guys at Ten-Tec really did a great job.  In fact,
I had to be extremely careful not to accidentally nudge up too close to someone
when I had the filter set for narrow.  If the signal wasn't in the passband, I
just didn't hear it.  I'm sure I probably irritated a few contestors by getting
too close.  During the contest if I became aware of a problem that I was
causing, I tried to slide or QSY.  My apologies to anyone I may have
inadvertantly offended.

73,

Rick
K4TD