[3830] WPX CW G6PZ(G0RTN) SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 27 21:42:50 EDT 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: G6PZ
Operator(s): G0RTN
Station: G6PZ

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Nr Bristol

   20: 1231

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

I'll do a more sensible write up when I get some sleep.

Paul only decided he was able to do the contest from G6PZ on Friday and was
looking for operators.  I decided operating from G6PZ would be more fun than
just playing from home with 100 Watts and a high doublet.  About 30 minutes
before the contest started, I 'persuaded' Paul that 2 of us wouldn't be
competitive as a multi-single especially as he had family commitments.  Decided
to go assisted because its the right level for dorks like me.  When you can't
get a run going, just point and click easy cluster spots, saves the time and
effort needed for real S&P.

Single Op in this contest is easy - with the 36 hour limit there's plenty of
time to sleep.  G6PZ is in the middle of an antenna upgrade.  The new 4 over 4
SteppIR stack ROCKS on the high bands.  I always felt loud.  Every pileup was
easy to break.  Whether picking up Sporadic E QSOs from other parts of Europe
or running into the states, it seemed only necessary to send your callsign a
few times for a pileup to emerge.  Of course, as an ordinary G station, no-one
sticks around if they don't work you quickly!  Managed to work both Japan and
California on 15, which I did not expect with a SFI of 68 and a woeful A index.
 On 20, the stack kicked serious ass into the Western USA in our late evening.
In fact, I didn't even realise how poor conditions were until I did a SH/WWV on
Sunday evening.

The downside was that we are currently limited to a sloper on 40.  It worked,
but not the way the old 402CD did and or future antenna projects here will.  80
was really tough with the summer QRN.  Heard a lot of US stations calling me
that I just couldn't pull through the noise.  Sorry.

Contesting is supposed to be fun.  This was lots of fun.  Thanks to everyone
who called in for making it that way.