[3830] WPX CW N7WA SOSB20 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 27 23:47:05 EDT 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: SOSB20 LP
QTH:

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Illness caught on the return trip from Dayton changed this from a planned All
Bander to a 20M Single Band effort... and I'm glad I did as I didn't think band
conditions were very good (at least 20M S/B let's me sleep at night).

At times, Europe seemed workable at this end but it wasn't reciprocal with nary
a QRZ? from many of the big guns there. Made me want to turn on the amp. There
were no runs into Japan and the few that I found seemed to have a hard time
hearing me. Oceania, however, seemed well represented this year and easily
worked. Even calling stations in the USA seemed tough at times. I felt weak all
weekend long and I'm not talking the flu. :>)

Another symptom was the "unheard QRM". I would be working a frequency for a
long time, then all the sudden there are stations answering unheard stations
underneath me (and both seemingly oblivious to my presence). Rathering
confusing at times. I also thought it odd that I found no pileups this
weekend on 20M.

On the plus side, I got to practice my SO2R techniques a whole bunch (albeit on
a single band) and played with some 250Hz filters brought home from Dayton.  I
even did a couple submissions to the RealTime Scoreboard (built into N1MM)
though it's a bit less spontaneous with dial-up. :>).

So, after banging my head until about 1PM local, I decided to quit early and
took the grandkid to see Spidey-3. I think it was a good decision. :>)

Hear me Sol..... UNCLE! I give. Bring back some spots.

73
dink